The City of Tracy welcomes you, and we recognize the value and importance of a strong and varied business community. Starting a business can be exciting and challenging. We wish you great success in your new venture!

There are many things to consider and various agencies to contact when starting or operating a business. While each endeavor may have its own unique situation or purpose, it is important for you to research prior to starting the application procedure.

We hope to offer you a better understanding of the business license tax and provide you with steps required for the application process. For your convenience, there is a listing of other agencies' in the “download forms” section and below is a list of “Frequently Asked Questions” to assist you.

The easiest and fastest way to apply for a new business license or renew your current license is using the online filing method. To begin, simply click on the “Start now” button located on the right of this page. From the main menu, please select the “Apply” option to submit a new application for your business.

If you need further assistance applying for a business license, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (209) 826-1827. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST).


Transient Occupancy Tax Assessment returns for Hotels and Motels can now be submitted via mail, e-mail, online, and by phone to simplify your quarterly reporting. To submit your TOT online please click the “Start Now” button found on the right and select the “TOT Remittance” option to begin your quarterly filing process

If you need further assistance, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (209) 826-8865. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST).

Applying for a Business License

What is a Business License?

A Business License is a tax and is non-regulatory; it does not entitle the holder to conduct business in a zone where conducting business violates law. It is non-transferable and the certificate must be carried or posted in a conspicuous place at the business location.

The General Business License tax application will be routed to various departments for review. Once paid; a Business License tax certificate will be issued. If the business location or mailing address changes, has an ownership or business name change, or becomes inactive, it is the certificate holder’s responsibility to notify the Business License tax office, and pay any applicable fees. Conducting a business in the City without a license can result in citations and/or fines.

We send annual or quarterly renewal notices; however, it is the certificate holder’s responsibility to renew on time to avoid late fees, and to notify us in writing of any changes.

Who needs a City of Tracy Business License tax certificate?

  • When any person, by the use of signs, circulars, cards, telephone books, or newspapers, shall advertise, hold out, or represent that the person is in business in the City, or when any person holds an active license or permit issued by a governmental agency indicating that the person is in business in the City, or when any person makes a sale, takes an order, renders a commercial service, or performs any other similar act within the City.

Where to start?

  • If you prepare or sell food contact the San Joaquin Environmental Health Dept.
  • If using a fictitious name or dba, contact the San Joaquin County Recorder.
  • If you buy or sell, tangible goods contact the State Board of Equalization.
  • If you need an employer tax ID contact the I.R.S. and Franchise Tax Board.
  • If your business will have employees contact the Employment Development Dept.

  • To inquire about city zoning requirements for your type of business and its planned location, contact the City of Tracy Planning Division; ask for a Planner. They are able to answer questions regarding zoning designations and building requirements. They will also be able to direct you to the appropriate person for construction permits or fire inspections.
  • Once you have a business location, you may apply for a City of Tracy Business License. You may download an application from our website or contact us at 209-826-1827 for more information. If you are a home-based business, in addition to the Business License tax application, you need a home occupation permit. You may submit both applications together to the Finance & Admin. Services Dept. at the City Hall, or via email at
  • Once the application and payment is received, an account will be set up and the application will be routed to other regulatory departments. A Business License tax certificate will be issued; however, it does not permit a business that is otherwise prohibited.
  • View a listing of Other Agencies Business Information Numbers you may want to contact.
  • View for Taxi and Other Transportation information.

City of Tracy
C/O HdL Support Center
8839 N. Cedar Ave. #212 • Fresno, CA 93720
(209) 826-1827